|Year of Birth & Death:||
(1896 - 1966)
Kiesler studied at the Technische Hochschule and the Akademie der blidenden Kunste in his native Vienna, from 1910 to 1916. He worked as a theatrical producer, an architect, a painter, and a sculptor, and started out with the De Stijl group. His first plan for the continuous house was shown in Vienna in 1924. In 1932, he became an naturalized American resident. From 1933 to 1957, he was the theater director of the Julliard School of Music in New York. Buildings constructed from his plans include the Art of this Century Gallery (1942), and the World House Gallery (1956), both of which are in New York. There is also the Sanctuary of the Book (1961 – 1965), which houses the Dead Sea Scrolls in Jerusalem.